Guest contributor Karen Uy shares a recipe for a popular Filipino snack food best enjoyed while indulging in your favorite beer.
- 2 lbs. June beetles
- 1 cup vinegar (recommended: sugarcane vinegar)
- 3 heads of garlic
- 1 tsp. whole peppercorn
- ½ cup of soy sauce
- Soak beetles in salt water overnight in refrigerator.
- Drain. Remove and discard head, legs, and carapace, and rinse bodies well.
- Sautee all ingredients together in a pan until boiling
- Simmer 1 hour over low heat.
- Remove from heat and let cool 1 hour before eating.
- Optional: add an additional deep fry for maximum crunch and easy eating! Garnish with garlic.