Though garlic mustard invasion is nothing to celebrate, this tasty garlic mustard stuffed pepper recipe is sure to be a hit at your next fiesta!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1.5 cups dry rice (we used long-grain white, but substitute your favorite here)
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup garlic mustard, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Prepare rice as indicated on packaging
- Cut off top of peppers and remove seeds and membranes to produce a pepper “cup”
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, add pepper and continue boil 5 minutes
- Remove peppers from water and allow to cool
- Cook chicken in large skillet over medium heat until no pink color remains
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic mustard, and salt and pepper to skillet and simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently
- Remove skillet from heat and combine with rice
- Use spoon to stuff rice mixture into each pepper, packing full
- After peppers are packed full of rice mixture, squeeze juice of half of a lime into each pepper
- Top each pepper with a generous helping of cheese
- Bake 20 minutes at 350°F
- Serve with salsa. ¡Buen provecho!
Left: Pepper stuffing in the skillet and smelling spicy!
Above: Garlic mustard pepper relleno plated and ready to eat!
(Photo credit: MA Barnes)